Being such an inspirational figure, we decided to make Che Guevara’s T-shirts. After all he was not only an exceptional leader but his thoughts has travelled the time and still keep him popular among the masses.
Let’s have a look at those 5 facts:
- Che was born on June 14, 1928. He was not only a revolutionary but a man with a lot of exceptional talents. He was a physician, author, sportsman, diplomat and a military theorist.
- His journey to learn about the social causes started when he was a medical student and travelled through South America where he saw people struck with poverty, disease and hunger due to the capital exploitation of United states over Latin America.
- He was an exceptional rugby player which also earned hin the nickname “Fuser” – a contraction of El Furibundo(raging) and de La Serna, his mother’s nickname for his aggressive style of play. He played at fly – half for Club Uniersitario de Buenos Aires. Besides Rugby he also excelled as an overall athlete and titles as an untiring cyclist. He also enjoyed swimming, football, shooting and golf. One interesting fact is he was such an exceptional athlete while suffering from acute asthma which afflicted him throughout his life.
- He had set up his own records for driving throughout South America. His first expedition was in 1950 when he did a 4,500 Km solo trip through rural areas of Norther Argentina. This trip was on a bicycle on which he installed a small engine. An interesting fact is he was a medical student and not an engineer. In 1951 he did a 8,000 Km continental motorcycle trek through most of South America for which he took a year off from his studies. His friend Alberto Granado accompanied him.
- Che Guevara‘s death – On October 7, 1967 Bolivian special forces encircled Guevara’s guerilla camp in Yuro ravine. As Che was wounded twice, and the soldiers approached him, he surrendered and shouted to them “ Do not shoot! I am Che Guevara and I am worth more to you alive than dead”. He was captured and taken for interrogation where he did not answer to the officials. It is said that he had kicked and spat on two officers in the camp when one was trying to snatch his smoking pipe while he was smoking and the other he spat on an officers face during the interrogation just before hours of his execution. On October 9, 1967 before his execution the Bolivian soldiers took him outside the camp where they clicked pictures with him and he was told that he will be executed now. Later a guy names Sergent Teran entered the camp to shoot him to which Guevara shouted at him ‘I know you’ve come to kill me. Shoot, coward. You are only going to kill a man.” Guevara was shot 9 times by Teran, 5 times in his legs, once in the right shoulder and arm, and once in the chest and throat. He was shot in a way, so that in press release it can be told that he was shot during retaliation firing. Teran had specially requested to execute Che since 3 of his friends were killed during the Che’s guerilla warfare.
Since Che was also a poet and writer, here is a collection of his famous 20 one liner’s that he lived by and are quoted by people all the time even though he is not here anymore.
Now, let’s have a look at those one liners:
- Words that do no match deeds are unimportant
- Wealth is far from being within the reach of the masses simply through the process of appropriation
- Live your life not celebrating victories but overcoming defeats
- Knowledge makes us accountable
- One has to grow hard but without losing tenderness
- Cruel leaders are replaced only to have new leaders turn cruel
- Silence is argument carried out by other means
- The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe , you have to make it fall
- We cannot be sure of having something to live for unless we are willing to die for it
- Let’s be realistic, demand the impossible
- Above all, always be capable of feeling deeply any injustice committed against anyone, anywhere in the world
- The best form of saying is being
- Better to die standing than live on your knees
- It’s a sad thing not to have friends, but its even sadder not to have enemies.
- The true revolutionary is guided by great feelings of love
- To accomplish much, you must first lose everything
- We have no right to believe that freedom can be won without struggle
- The desire to sacrifice an entire lifetime to the noblest of ideals serves no purpose if one just works alone
- It is an illusion to think that the matter cannot be resolved through words
- The question is one of fighting the causes and not just being satisfied with getting rid of the effects